Walter Cronkite, one of America's most trusted men, died today at the age of 92. In addition to his storied career as the nations preeminent newsman, Cronkite had several ties to Walt Disney World.
The most notable connection between Cronkite and Disney was Cronkite's narration of Spaceship Earth from 1986-1994. Cronkite took over for Lawrence Dobkin in 1986 and was replaced by Jeremy Irons in 1994.
Cronkite also could be found providing the introduction and conclusion to the holiday-themed version of Illuminations beginning in 1994.
Cronkite teamed up with Robin Williams on the "Back to Neverland" film that ran at the Disney-MGM Studios from the park's opening in 1989 until 2003.
Cronkite was a great storyteller and his legacy will live on. I would like to express my sympathies to the Cronkite family and to the CBS News team for their loss.
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (97)
- ► 2010 (83)
- Park attendance up
- Tip Tuesday: More enhancements available for Phot...
- Come one, come all, get your FastPasses here!!!
- Report: Something's going on backstage...
- Tip Tuesday: The Power Bag
- Fantasyland wishes, or at least this fan wishes......
- Walter Cronkite passes away at 92
- ESPN RISE games start this weekend at Disney's Wid...
- It all started 54 years ago today...
- Disney buses collide at Contemporary Resort
- Tip Tuesday: Getting "behind the seeds"
- Some "new" hidden Mickeys at WDW
- Update: Three cast members suspended following mo...
- NTSB releases preliminary report about monorail ac...
- D23 sits down with Marty Sklar
- Tip Tuesday: An unimpeded view of Illuminations
- NTSB to investigate monorail accident
- Monorail reopens to guests today
- Tragedy at Walt Disney World
- Hall of Presidents featuring #44
- Back from WDW!!!
- ▼ July (21)