Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Smurfs are coming! The Smurfs are coming!

Disney today announced a new partnership with James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment to bring the world of Avatar to Disney's Animal Kingdom. An entirely new Avatar land will begin to take form at Animal Kingdom with construction planned for sometime in 2013.

"We believe Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in new ways. Disney’s Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR," said the official Disney Parks blog.

To read more about this announcement, see the official Disney Parks Blog.

Now for My Take:
I'm having a hard time getting excited about a new land based on "Dances with Smurfs." I wasn't (and still am not) a big fan of the movie - and I'm not the only one. Based on Facebook comments and comments on the Disney Parks blog, not everyone is gung-ho for this.

That being said, I realize a LOT of people went nuts for this film (it did smash all-time box office records) and so it's probably a good thing for a park that really NEEDS additional content. I just hope the whole Avatar theme doesn't overtake the entire park.

I guess I need to go put Avatar in my Netflix list and watch it again. Maybe it's better the second time around. I hope so.

Oh and I'll bet THIS was the big announcement that was supposed to happen at D23. I guess the negotiations didn't get finalized in time for the Expo.

2 comments:

Gaylin said...

I couldn't be less interested in this and adding it to the Animal Kingdom seems odd at best.

Unknown said...

I am so with you. Not excited.

Blog Archive

Followers