The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that Disney is adding additional Automated External Defibrillators (AED) at major thrill attractions across Walt Disney World. This is the latest phase in Disney's plans to add life-saving equipment closer to locations were guests with medical issues may experience medical emergencies.
In Dec. 2007, a man died of a heart attack while riding Expedition Everest. According to the report, doctors said that there's no way to know if an AED would have saved the man's life - he apparently suffered from an enlarged heart. At the time of the incident, only four AED's were located at Animal Kingdom. Now there are 16. These things aren't cheap - they cost about $1,500 - $2,000 a piece.
While it's great that Disney is doing all it can to help keep guests safe, guests themselves must remember their own limitations. If you have a heart condition, or other medical problem, it might be a good idea not to go on an attraction that has several warning signs saying that anyone with certain medical conditions should not ride. I know my limitations - that's why the Mad Hatter's Tea Party and especially Primeval Whirl are out.
In the meantime, let's hope these AED's just gather dust and are never needed. Stay safe and be responsible, everyone!
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (97)
- ► 2010 (83)
- WDW 2009 Ambassadors lead new Magic Kingdom parade...
- Disney releases American Idol Experience song list...
- Disneyland to use recycled cooking oil to power ra...
- FOX boards the "Dawn Treader"
- Tip Tuesday: Magical photos with Photopass
- Dreams Come True Parade opens at the Magic Kingdom...
- Disney pin blog releases sneak preview of new Hall...
- Buy 4 nights, get 3 free offer extended - again!
- New details on buyout option for Disney execs
- Pins give sneak peek into changes at Small World i...
- Disney to consolidate ABC units / Top execs asked ...
- Tip Tuesday: Leaving the Magic Kingdom for the GF...
- LA Times: Disney dumped Narnia because of feud
- New Princess and Frog image in 2008 Disney Annual ...
- Iger earns $51 million in 2008
- 20,000 Leagues to return to the big screen?
- American Idol in soft previews
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 8
- Tip Tuesday: Making Soarin' magical for kids
- Disney to add AED's at major thrill attractions
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 7
- Disney looks to Shanghai for new park
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 6
- Some details emerge about Space Mountain refurb
- In the news: Dispute over Mission: Space settled...
- Tip Tuesday: Can you only have one FastPass at a ...
- Space Mountain update: April refurb confirmed!
- Disney asks: "Are you 23?" Find out March 10
- Disney Dining update: ADR window shortened to 90 ...
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 5
- It's 2009! Time to Celebrate!
- ▼ January (31)