CNBC is reporting that Imagineers at Disneyland have come up with a way to recycle cooking oil to power the Disneyland Railroad and the Mark Twain Riverboat. In addition, the company is using compressed natural gas to fuel the guest trams. This is all part of Disneyland's innovative environmental initiatives to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
Here's an excerpt from the article:
"These initiatives demonstrate Disneyland Resort's ongoing commitment to balancing environmental stewardship throughout our operations," said Michael O'Grattan, senior vice president of resort operations. "These are just a few steps in our ongoing journey to reduce Disneyland Resort's environmental footprint." Used Cooking Oil Fuels Disneyland Railroad Beginning this week, the Disneyland Railroad is being fueled by a special biodiesel made from recycled cooking oil used throughout the Resort. "We have been recycling our used kitchen grease for years, but this innovation takes recycling to another level," said Frank Dela Vara, Disneyland Resort's director of environmental affairs and conservation. "Now the oil used to cook French Fries and other foods is processed to power our Disneyland Railroad and our Mark Twain Riverboat. This move allows the Resort to save approximately 200,000 gallons of petroleum diesel per year." The Disneyland Railroad's five trains have been using a soy-based biodiesel since April 2007. The B99.9 used cooking oil-based biodiesel will continue to reduce emissions by up to 80 percent. Disneyland Resort's Mark Twain Riverboat also will begin using the new biodiesel within the next few weeks.
No word yet on when these initiatives may make their way over to Walt Disney World.
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (97)
- ► 2010 (83)
- WDW 2009 Ambassadors lead new Magic Kingdom parade...
- Disney releases American Idol Experience song list...
- Disneyland to use recycled cooking oil to power ra...
- FOX boards the "Dawn Treader"
- Tip Tuesday: Magical photos with Photopass
- Dreams Come True Parade opens at the Magic Kingdom...
- Disney pin blog releases sneak preview of new Hall...
- Buy 4 nights, get 3 free offer extended - again!
- New details on buyout option for Disney execs
- Pins give sneak peek into changes at Small World i...
- Disney to consolidate ABC units / Top execs asked ...
- Tip Tuesday: Leaving the Magic Kingdom for the GF...
- LA Times: Disney dumped Narnia because of feud
- New Princess and Frog image in 2008 Disney Annual ...
- Iger earns $51 million in 2008
- 20,000 Leagues to return to the big screen?
- American Idol in soft previews
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 8
- Tip Tuesday: Making Soarin' magical for kids
- Disney to add AED's at major thrill attractions
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 7
- Disney looks to Shanghai for new park
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 6
- Some details emerge about Space Mountain refurb
- In the news: Dispute over Mission: Space settled...
- Tip Tuesday: Can you only have one FastPass at a ...
- Space Mountain update: April refurb confirmed!
- Disney asks: "Are you 23?" Find out March 10
- Disney Dining update: ADR window shortened to 90 ...
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 5
- It's 2009! Time to Celebrate!
- ▼ January (31)