The operational updates page of Disneyworld.com now has confirmed Space Mountain AND the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (TTA) will both be down for refurbishment starting April 19. So far, the operational updates page only lists closures through July 2009. The Space Mountain refurbishment is expected to last until sometime in late 2009, though a more specific completion date is not known, which is no surprise.
What I find most interesting is the length of time for this refurbishment. At only about 8 months, I'm not sure the Imagineers have the time to make huge modification as had been hoped for - modifications that might make the WDW Space Mountain more like the Disneyland version. Keep in mind that the Haunted Mansion was down for three months, and in that time essentially only one new scene, enhanced audio and some fresh paint were added. Nothing too major, yet that took three months. IF some major overhaul of the interior ride system were planned, I'm not sure eight months is enough time. Maybe the Imagineers will have crews going 24/7 to complete such a major refurb in a short amount of time -- Space Mountain is an anchor attraction after all and I can't imagine Disney wants to have it down any longer than they absolutely have to.
For now, anyone headed to Walt Disney World after April 19 will only have two Magic Kingdom mountains to scale - Splash and Big Thunder. Trips into Space have been grounded.
I'm sure we'll start to hear more about the nature of this refurbishment in the months to come, so stay tuned!
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (97)
- ► 2010 (83)
- WDW 2009 Ambassadors lead new Magic Kingdom parade...
- Disney releases American Idol Experience song list...
- Disneyland to use recycled cooking oil to power ra...
- FOX boards the "Dawn Treader"
- Tip Tuesday: Magical photos with Photopass
- Dreams Come True Parade opens at the Magic Kingdom...
- Disney pin blog releases sneak preview of new Hall...
- Buy 4 nights, get 3 free offer extended - again!
- New details on buyout option for Disney execs
- Pins give sneak peek into changes at Small World i...
- Disney to consolidate ABC units / Top execs asked ...
- Tip Tuesday: Leaving the Magic Kingdom for the GF...
- LA Times: Disney dumped Narnia because of feud
- New Princess and Frog image in 2008 Disney Annual ...
- Iger earns $51 million in 2008
- 20,000 Leagues to return to the big screen?
- American Idol in soft previews
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 8
- Tip Tuesday: Making Soarin' magical for kids
- Disney to add AED's at major thrill attractions
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 7
- Disney looks to Shanghai for new park
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 6
- Some details emerge about Space Mountain refurb
- In the news: Dispute over Mission: Space settled...
- Tip Tuesday: Can you only have one FastPass at a ...
- Space Mountain update: April refurb confirmed!
- Disney asks: "Are you 23?" Find out March 10
- Disney Dining update: ADR window shortened to 90 ...
- WDW Dec. 2008 Trip Report - Day 5
- It's 2009! Time to Celebrate!
- ▼ January (31)