Friday, February 17, 2012

My Take: Nighttime parades at the Magic Kingdom

Main Street Electrical Parade and Spectromagic

Sometimes a thought occurs and I just have to take a moment to share it.  Actually, I've been having this thought for some time.  While it may seem sacrilegious to some, I just have to say it. 

I miss Spectromagic.

There.  Pandora's box is now open.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the Main Street Electrical Parade, but I've now seen this parade, time and time again for the past two years. 

And I was one of the ones saying, two years ago, that I was tired of seeing Spectromagic time and time again, wishing for the return of the Main Street Electrical Parade.

The problem, I think, is the lack of variety.  With the exception of special events, the nighttime offerings at the Magic Kingdom are the same, night after night after night.  Same story at Epcot, but I'll keep the focus on the Magic Kingdom for this post.

While we don't know this officially, the general consensus is that Disney is hesitant to change things up because guests are coming to Walt Disney World expecting to see certain things.  The vast majority of guests are first- or few-time visitors.  This is why Disney doesn't want to do holiday overlays at Walt Disney World.

OK, fine.  I guess I can see the logic in some of that.  At the same time, what draws a guest to come back to the Magic Kingdom for a second or third night?  Not everyone wants to see Wishes or the Main Street Electrical Parade again and again and again.  Sure, we Disney geeks could do so every night for the rest of our lives, but even we have to admit we're not like the normal guest.

The British poet William Cowper said "variety is the spice of life."  I have to agree.

So what's my point?  I want both.

Bring back Spectromagic AND keep the Main Street Electrical Parade.  Why can't we have two nighttime parades running?  They could be set on a rotating schedule -- Spectromagic on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays and the MSEP on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

I'm sure there are some technical issues that might have to be worked out, but I'm sure Disney could figure it out and it would give guests all that more reason to return to the Magic Kingdom for a second (or third) night.  Also, having additional options would give more reason for annual passholders (like me) to visit the parks more often and spend money on food, merchandise, etc.

What do you think?  Which Magic Kingdom nighttime parade do you want to see?  Or maybe both?

Take our poll and post a comment!

2 comments:

mr. pineapple man said...

I do love the song from the electric parade that I can never sing along to!

Anonymous said...

I don't care for the music for the new parade, it sounds like a cheap cartoon. The Spectro Magic music was an experience you didn't want to end. This new parade is awesome but the music is awful. It just repeats over and over.

Blog Archive

Followers