Different Orlando media outlets are reporting that the entire Walt Disney World bus system was pulled out of service today after a suspicious package was seen underneath one of the buses. As a precaution, every bus was pulled off the road and inspected.
According to the sheriff's office, a Disney maintenance worker discovered the suspicious device around 3 p.m. this afternoon and contacted authorities.
This afternoon, the Orange County Sheriff's Office released a statement indicating the device that was found earlier in the day was not explosive or hazardous. The investigation continues to determine who, how and why the device was placed under a Disney bus.
A Disney spokesperson told local news agencies that the company inspected hundreds of buses. The spokesperson expected bus service to begin to resume later this evening.
Naturally, having the entire Disney bus system offline for several hours caused transportation chaos through the parks, especially at Animal Kingdom, where bus services is the only means of transportation for Disney resort guests. Animal Kingdom extended its operating hours to 7 p.m. to compensate for resort guests' transportation difficulties.
Additional taxis were present at different Disney properties to help ease problems associated with the lack of bus service.
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (97)
- ► 2010 (83)
- Buy 4, get 3 free returns!
- Tip Tuesday: When to eat
- Disney announces new 2010 promotion -- Give a Day,...
- Disney Parks to start their own blog
- The biggest Disney fan
- 2009 Epcot Food and Wine Festival begins today
- DisneyDaddy - one year later
- Tip Tuesday: Waking up Tinkerbell
- Dick Cook resigns as head of Walt Disney Pictures
- Kouzzina officially opens
- Some lingering questions following the Fantasyland...
- Disney bus system halted due to suspicious device
- The Force is strong with these...
- Tip Tuesday: Tables in Wonderland
- Magic Kingdom Fantasyland Expansion is CONFIRMED!!...
- Video from Disney's HUGE announcements yesterday
- D23 Update: Imagineering Legends come together to...
- Depp announces Pirates 4 at D23 Expo
- Disney Cruise Line announces new destination -- Al...
- More from D23 -- the Treasures Collection
- TTA reopens today
- Epcot's Illuminations named best outdoor night sho...
- D23 Expo Update: Iger opens up first ever Expo
- Applications now accepted for 2010 Disney World Mo...
- Tip Tuesday: To AP or not to AP...
- Report: Marvel characters not likely at WDW
- D23 - previews and LIVE coverage!!!
- Disney finds new voice for Mickey Mouse
- The master of Hidden Mickeys releases 4th edition
- Disney Magic rescues overboard passenger from anot...
- Tip Tuesday: KidCot
- 2009 Disney Legends announced
- ▼ September (32)