CNBC.com is reporting that Disney announced yesterday that they have cut about 1,900 positions (or 11% of the entire workforce). Of those 1,900 positions, 700 were open positions that will go unfilled, while the remaining 1,200 were eliminated through layoffs. The large majority of the cuts applied to managers and salaried staff as opposed to hourly employees.
"These decisions were not made lightly, but are essential to maintaining our leadership in family tourism and reflect today's economic realities," said Disney spokeswoman Tasia Filippatos in a statement.
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (97)
- ► 2010 (83)
- Here we go, Swine flu fears at WDW
- Next D23 charter member pin: The Mad Hatter
- Tip Tuesday: Star Wars Weekends
- Cover for D23 May issue announced
- The Disney Studios: Then and Now
- Disney Legend Marty Sklar to retire
- Additional details on "Pirates League" in Adventur...
- Disney Legends to receive Main St. windows at Disn...
- Attention young pirates: Pirates League coming so...
- D23 update - D23 pins to go on sale very soon
- For Disney, every day is Earth Day
- Tip Tuesday: Dealing with the sun
- Hollywood Studios 20th Anniversary pins unveiled
- Space Mountain major refurbishment starts today
- Disney launches new service to allow guests "see a...
- MagicMeets -- tickets selling out fast!
- In the Rumor Mill: Magic Kingdom may expand early...
- Raython exhibit to bring some thrills to Innoventi...
- Retro Epcot pin series coming to WDW
- Disney announces schedule for Sounds Like Summer s...
- Tip Tuesday: One of the REAL best kept secrets at...
- Characters in Flight takes off for official first ...
- Finding Disney in D.C.
- Characters in Flight to open very soon at Downtown...
- New restaurant to open at Downtown Disney this May...
- D23 pins to be re-released
- Tip Tuesday: Easter at Walt Disney World
- Disney cuts 11% of entire parks staff
- Another D23 pin is sold out
- Coming in October: Toy Story 1 and 2 in 3D
- ▼ April (30)