With a report in today's Orlando Sentinel that a group of band members from a Greenville, SC school are experiencing flu-like symptoms after a trip last week to Walt Disney World, the level of concern for visiting WDW has skyrocketed (thanks, in large part, to all the media coverage).
It is likely a confirmed case of swine flu will pop-up in Florida and probably at Walt Disney World. It is, after all, the world's number one vacation destination. With that kind of daily attendance, from all corners of the globe (including Mexico), it's hard not to think that a case will surface.
The thing to remember with this is that prevention is the key. This DOES NOT mean stay in your home and don't venture out. This DOES NOT mean cancel your plans to visit WDW. All you need to do is take a few simple hygiene measures and you stand a good chance of not even contracting this disease, or catching a very mild version - which is, in many ways, just like the normal flu.
So with this in mind, here's a Tip Tuesday Extra (call it Tip Thursday):
First and foremost, WASH YOUR HANDS. A lot!! Be sure to scrub with soap for at least 20 seconds. The quick wash trick won't work here. You have to get in there and really go at it. The reason for this is to allow the soap longer time to interact with germs and kill them. If you just hit a little soap and rise off, the soap hasn't had time to do much of anything.
Second, use hand sanitizer. Carry a small bottle with you in the parks. As you come off an attraction, use a small hit of sanitizer (or, again, wash your hands).
Third, if you have a cough or a cold, be sure to use tissues (and only ONCE). Cough into the tissue or into your sleeve. If you frequently cough into your sleeve, make sure that shirt is washed as soon as possible. If you have a cold and a runny nose, use a tissue and then throw it away. Don't keep using them and handkerchiefs are a bad idea, so don't even go there.
The folks at Disney are doing everything they can to keep the parks and resorts as clean and sanitized as possible. You need to do your part.
This whole thing will burn out soon enough. If you have summer plans for Walt Disney World, don't cancel them. Come to the World and have a great time!
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (97)
- ► 2010 (83)
- Here we go, Swine flu fears at WDW
- Next D23 charter member pin: The Mad Hatter
- Tip Tuesday: Star Wars Weekends
- Cover for D23 May issue announced
- The Disney Studios: Then and Now
- Disney Legend Marty Sklar to retire
- Additional details on "Pirates League" in Adventur...
- Disney Legends to receive Main St. windows at Disn...
- Attention young pirates: Pirates League coming so...
- D23 update - D23 pins to go on sale very soon
- For Disney, every day is Earth Day
- Tip Tuesday: Dealing with the sun
- Hollywood Studios 20th Anniversary pins unveiled
- Space Mountain major refurbishment starts today
- Disney launches new service to allow guests "see a...
- MagicMeets -- tickets selling out fast!
- In the Rumor Mill: Magic Kingdom may expand early...
- Raython exhibit to bring some thrills to Innoventi...
- Retro Epcot pin series coming to WDW
- Disney announces schedule for Sounds Like Summer s...
- Tip Tuesday: One of the REAL best kept secrets at...
- Characters in Flight takes off for official first ...
- Finding Disney in D.C.
- Characters in Flight to open very soon at Downtown...
- New restaurant to open at Downtown Disney this May...
- D23 pins to be re-released
- Tip Tuesday: Easter at Walt Disney World
- Disney cuts 11% of entire parks staff
- Another D23 pin is sold out
- Coming in October: Toy Story 1 and 2 in 3D
- ▼ April (30)