In what may be a first for private transportation systems, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) announced they are launching a full investigation of Sunday morning's fatal monorail accident.
According to a report by the Orlando Sentinel, Disney has confirmed that the accident happened while one monorail (pink) was in the process of switching from the Epcot loop to a spur connected to the Magic Kingdom express loop. Apparently the track switch never took place and the pink monorail driver put the monorail in reverse, thinking they were on the spur to the Magic Kingdom express loop. Instead, pink monorail reversed back on the Epcot loop, striking purple monorail, killing driver Austin Wuennenberg.
"We'll be going on scene and working with Disney there. We understand that OSHA is already involved," NTSB spokesman Peter Knudson told the Sentinel. "We'll be looking at operating control systems, and their [Disney's] procedures, and the different procedures they use on the monorail to position trains."
When asked why the NTSB was taking the unprecedented step of investigating a private transportation system, Knudson replied, "it is a widely used transportation system that is used by the public."
Disney told the Sentinel they will fully cooperate with the NTSB investigation.
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (97)
- ► 2010 (83)
- Park attendance up
- Tip Tuesday: More enhancements available for Phot...
- Come one, come all, get your FastPasses here!!!
- Report: Something's going on backstage...
- Tip Tuesday: The Power Bag
- Fantasyland wishes, or at least this fan wishes......
- Walter Cronkite passes away at 92
- ESPN RISE games start this weekend at Disney's Wid...
- It all started 54 years ago today...
- Disney buses collide at Contemporary Resort
- Tip Tuesday: Getting "behind the seeds"
- Some "new" hidden Mickeys at WDW
- Update: Three cast members suspended following mo...
- NTSB releases preliminary report about monorail ac...
- D23 sits down with Marty Sklar
- Tip Tuesday: An unimpeded view of Illuminations
- NTSB to investigate monorail accident
- Monorail reopens to guests today
- Tragedy at Walt Disney World
- Hall of Presidents featuring #44
- Back from WDW!!!
- ▼ July (21)