This from the "we all knew it was coming" file:
The Orlando Sentinel has an article today about Disney's announcement to eliminate an unannounced number of positions as part of an overall downsizing of the east coast and west coast resort divisions. In short, functions that take place both at WDW and Disneyland may be combined so that one location may handle particular functions for both resorts.
The company pointed to the joint development of Toy Story Mania, which was added to both Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's California Adventure. By working on both attractions at the same time, Disney held down development costs.
Disney also said it would create a new "Global Business Development team," which will work to combine existing business and real-estate development functions. This team will be responsible for focusing growth strategies at existing parks-and-resorts businesses and identifying new opportunities around the globe.
My take: Disney is doing all it can to weather the economic downturn. No one likes reducing their staff, but in this climate, you have to do what's necessary to survive. Let's hope that the stimulus plan will actually do what it's supposed to do and stimulate the economy, which can, in turn, get more people to the two U.S.-based resorts and turn things around. At the end of today, Disney stock was still under $18 a share, well down from $35 a share back in May, 2008.
Maybe once the dust settles, some good will come of this shuffle. We can only hope. But as Walt said, we have to "keep moving forward."
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (97)
- ► 2010 (83)
- ESPN the weekend starts today at DHS
- Report confirms "Are You 23?" is a fan club
- Online resort check-in service begins
- Tip Tuesday: Park etiquette
- New Star Wars Weekends big figs announced - LAST o...
- Could the "Are you 23?" mystery be solved?
- Congrats to Wall-E!!
- iTunes find: Louis Armstrong sings classic Disney...
- Attraction review: Festival of the Lion King
- Disney announces layoffs at domestic resorts
- Why supporting the Dream Team (and groups like it)...
- Tip Tuesday: Quiet time in the parks
- "Princess and the Frog" toy line announced
- MouseFest 2009 on "hiatus"
- Disney Daddy returns to the WDW Radio Show
- LEGO and Disney link up
- American Idol Experience: the Grand Premiere
- Raytheon confirms new exhibit for Innoventions, op...
- Tip Tuesday: Take your time
- Disney and DreamWorks sign distribution deal
- Restaurant Review: 1900 Park Fare - breakfast
- Disney/Pixar's Ed Catmull takes Oscar for lifetime...
- DreamWorks to partner with Disney?
- DisneyDaddy to run in 2010 WDW half-marathon
- Disney reveals "Small World" additions to Disneyla...
- Iger says weak theme park attendance partly led to...
- Tip Tuesday: Safety in the parks
- Holmes and Mickey Mouse parade down Main Street
- Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes say "I'm go...
- Restaurant Review: Cape May Cafe - dinner
- ▼ February (30)