CNBC has an interview with Disney CEO Bob Iger in which he discusses Disney's disappointing stock performance this quarter. Iger said lower theme park attendance in addition to sagging broadcast and film revenues contributed to the less than expected results.
Revenues for the Disney Parks fell four percent to $2.67 billion mostly due to lower attendance at Walt Disney World and Disneyland and lower hotel occupancy at on-property resorts.
If that wasn't bad enough, the Disney Studio revenues dropped a whopping 26-percent to just under $2 billion. In a bit of good news, revenues at the Disney Channel and ESPN rose two-percent to $2.45 billion. ABC revenue, however, wiped away any gains for the broadcast segment as ABC revenues dropped 14-percent to $1.45 billion.
I'm no economist, but it seems clear to me that the studios and ABC are where the problems really lie. A four-percent drop in the parks isn't good by any means, but it's nowhere near the 26 and 14 percent declines by the studios and ABC respectively.
Also on CNBC: Overall report on Disney's 1st Q earnings.
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (91)
- ► 2011 (97)
- ► 2010 (83)
- ESPN the weekend starts today at DHS
- Report confirms "Are You 23?" is a fan club
- Online resort check-in service begins
- Tip Tuesday: Park etiquette
- New Star Wars Weekends big figs announced - LAST o...
- Could the "Are you 23?" mystery be solved?
- Congrats to Wall-E!!
- iTunes find: Louis Armstrong sings classic Disney...
- Attraction review: Festival of the Lion King
- Disney announces layoffs at domestic resorts
- Why supporting the Dream Team (and groups like it)...
- Tip Tuesday: Quiet time in the parks
- "Princess and the Frog" toy line announced
- MouseFest 2009 on "hiatus"
- Disney Daddy returns to the WDW Radio Show
- LEGO and Disney link up
- American Idol Experience: the Grand Premiere
- Raytheon confirms new exhibit for Innoventions, op...
- Tip Tuesday: Take your time
- Disney and DreamWorks sign distribution deal
- Restaurant Review: 1900 Park Fare - breakfast
- Disney/Pixar's Ed Catmull takes Oscar for lifetime...
- DreamWorks to partner with Disney?
- DisneyDaddy to run in 2010 WDW half-marathon
- Disney reveals "Small World" additions to Disneyla...
- Iger says weak theme park attendance partly led to...
- Tip Tuesday: Safety in the parks
- Holmes and Mickey Mouse parade down Main Street
- Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes say "I'm go...
- Restaurant Review: Cape May Cafe - dinner
- ▼ February (30)